Empowering women: Kogi agency visits Niger and studies the shea butter value chain

0

1. A delegation from the Kogi Enterprise Development Agency (KEDA) embarked on a two-day tour of Niger on Thursday to study the shea butter value chain, to empower Kogi women.

2. A statement from Ms. Opeyemi Ologun, Communications Strategist of KEDA, said the tour was intended to give the agency a chance to explore the potential transfer of knowledge towards the growth of the shea butter market.

nigeria news today, headline updates today

3. Ologun said her butter was a catalyst for women’s empowerment and Nigeria’s economic growth and development.

nigeria news today, headline updates today

4. Ologun said a team was present to receive the delegation, led by Mr. Daniel Ogu, Research and Development Specialist, Niger State Commodity Trade Promotion Agency (NSCEPA).

5. She said that the NSCEPA was responsible for increasing the production, marketing and distribution of various agricultural products in Niger and contributing immensely to its economic development.

6. “The good news from the Federal Institute of Industrial Research, Oshodi (FIIRO) is that Nigeria is expected to produce around 500,000 metric tons of shea nuts per year with the potential to generate $10 billion per year on the whole of the value chain.

seven. “Invariably, the State of Niger endeavors to organize the sector systematically, attracting many partners; Some of these achievements include UN Women, 7 cooperatives participated and received international trainings to train more Nigerian women.

8. “Interestingly, Niger, Kogi and Kwara contribute 57% to the shea butter value chain, while the other states jointly contribute 43%,” she revealed.

9. According to her, despite the huge landmass of Kogi State with the comparative advantage of shea trees in the 21 LGAs, there was a need to increase the productive capacity of the sector.

ten. “In continuation of Governor Yahaya Bello’s quest to promote entrepreneurship, especially among women, the Kogi government is exploring ways to improve the shea butter value chain as a catalyst for women’s empowerment. .

11.
Earlier, Hajia Fatima Wushishi, Managing Director of NSCEPA, described KEDA’s quest to study the development of shea butter in Niger as “very professional and commendable”.

12. Wushishi said “Kogi’s diversification into agriculture is a big step in the right direction, as is its exploration of the various economically viable deposits across the state.”

13. The statement said the NSECPA and KEDA teams were to discuss issues regarding entrepreneurs and shea butter cooperatives; partnerships and collaboration with foreign agencies and organizations.

14. They should also explore the aggregation, filtration and export of shea butter; investors and marketing; supply and value chain; challenges, solutions and perspectives during the tour.

15. Already, the Kogi government, through KEDA, is offering a multidisciplinary approach that combines fruit growing, biochar and other similar products.

16. It is about increasing revenue, sharing operations, expertise, and fostering sustainability and expansion of the state.

NewsSourceCredit: NAN

www shop bet9ja

Share.

Comments are closed.